Sunday, November 16, 2014

Coffeeneuring Challenge Ride #7

Our Final Ride to complete the challenge.  The temperatures have been below or barely above freezing all week, and I had been able to continue riding to work, so I was well prepared for the cold ride.  The weather forecast was predicting snow for the weekend, so I wanted to keep the ride short and early.  I set out a little after 7 am to go to the closest coffeehouse.  Since the challenge requires a minimum of a mile ride to the coffeehouse, I rode around the neighborhood for a third of a mile before heading down the road to Einstein Bros Bagels. When I arrived my speedometer read 1.45 miles.

 I had a free specialty coffee coming thanks to Mr. Huwxby, a fellow teacher, who gave me his fully punched coffee card, so I choose the cinnamon caramel latte.  YUM! While waiting for my coffee one of the employees asked if Tsuki could have a treat and she took a doggie bagel out to my happy doggie.


While I was trying to organize my selfie, a customer pulled up and offered to take the shot for me, reminding me once again why I love living here and how friendly and helpful people are.  We headed home. Again I wondered around the neighborhood to increase my mileage, but still only road 2 2/3 miles.  I am so happy to have completed this challenge, and as I look back over the last seven weeks, I see that four of the seven rides were on my own, while three of them involved meeting or riding with friends.  I believe that friends kept me going, but my intrinsic motivation has allowed me to be successful.  Last year, the couch was much too comfortable and I only completed a couple of weeks before giving up.  Last year, I also gave up on commuting to work during the month of October, and this year, I have continued to ride.  In fact, last week was our coldest week, with each morning colder than the previous, and each one starting below freezing, and yet I rode my bike every single day.  I have joined several groups on Facebook and the encouragement from others does help keep me going.  I am not sure if I am going to continue with the coffee challenge through winter, but I know I am going to keep riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment