Sunday, October 5, 2014

Our Story

I have this wonderful dog named Tsuki Inu who is half border collie and half mutt.  Since she has so much border collie in her, she is smart, and usually bored.  Since I am a teacher, I spend much more time to spend with her in the summer, but personally get tired of just throwing the Frisbee in the backyard for her to catch.

I also have an Electra Hawaii bike named Kapua.  In May of 2013, I decided to stop making excuses and start losing weight.  I tried to run, and would take Tsuki, but I don't enjoy running, and Tsuki always wanted to go faster.  So I started riding Kapua.  I started with Tsuki beside me for just one mile, and over a month got both of us able to go around four miles.  As the summer progressed I found that I was able to go further, but Tsuki couldn't seem to make it past the 3-5 miles mark, and if it was hot or humid she wore out sooner.

Then school started and I could only take Tsuki out on the weekends, so even though it wasn't hot, three miles was about her limit and I wanted to ride further.  But I didn't have time to figure out a solution, so I just kept the rides short.

July of 2014 I started riding a lot more.  On July 4th, I did my first ride over 30 miles on Kapua and realized how much I enjoyed a nice long ride.  But the problem remained of how I could get Tsuki to run with me.  So I created a stand for her and put her on the back of Kapua.  I even crocheted a cover for it with my scrap yarn, so it wouldn't be slippery.  I put her up and walked her around and she seemed to do just fine.  After a ride or two, she was a pro at riding on the back of Kapua, and now I can take her with me on a long ride, letting her run when she has the energy, and then letting her take a break on the back.  She gets about a total of five miles and I get to ride for as much as I want.  This blog is a record of some of our rides together.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Love that you have your dogs AND your best interest at heart! Keep rolling!

    ReplyDelete